Monday, June 10, 2013

Birdseed Sensory Tub

We do a lot of sensory tubs at our house. Often friends will ask what we do with them... the easiest way I can explain it is to first let them totally explore the different things you put in the tub. Just looking at each item will result in turning it over, feeling it, (maybe tasting it... lol) and checking it all out.
After they search through the tub at this age they WILL lose interest, unless you give them something to DO. Currently Grace has two favorite activities to do with sensory tubs. First we fill a bucket. She has recently discovered and become fascinated with scooping and pouring, so I will give her a bowl, or a flower pot, or a cup to fill. I sit there and say, can you pour into the bucket, and praise her efforts.
Her second favorite activity with a sensory bucket is hide and seek. I will take everything out of the tub (except the main thing - bird seed in this case) and I will pick one type of object, cars, stones, big buttons, and then I will hide it. We work on counting. I will say - can you find the three brown stones in the bucket? and she will run her hands through. As she finds them we count it out. You found One, you need to find two and three! You found two - lets look for three, etc.
Someday her directions will become more complex, but for now sensory tub fun is a mommy and me activity. It is purposeful and engaging play and a toddler needs a parent to make the purpose clear. They need you :) Just a few ideas for your own sensory tub at home. <3

No comments:

Post a Comment